Who May Not Get a Permit to Carry
According to Iowa Code, Chapter 724, Section 724.8, no nonprofessional Permit to Carry Weapons shall be issued to a person who is subject to any of the following:
- Is less than 21 years of age.
- Is addicted to the use of alcohol.
- Probable cause exists to believe, based upon documented specific actions of the person, where at least one of the actions occurred within two years immediately preceding the date of the permit application, that the person is likely to use a weapon unlawfully or in such other manner as would endanger the person’s self or others.
- Is not allowed to possess, ship, transport, or receive a firearm, offensive weapon, or ammunition under Section 724.26 because he or she:
- Has been convicted of a felony in a state or federal court or…
- Is subject to a protective order or…
- Has been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence.
- Has, within the previous three years, been convicted of any serious or aggravated misdemeanor defined in Chapter 708 not involving the use of a firearm or explosive.
- Is prohibited by federal law from shipping, transporting, possessing, or receiving a firearm.