ATTENTION! The material covered in this unit is intended to provide you with information to help you better understand the Iowa Permit to Carry Weapons laws and is NOT intended to give you legal advice. After you complete this online course, it is recommended that you participate in additional hands-on training and continue to practice to further expand your handgun knowledge and skills.
Practicing with your handgun to develop the skills you need to handle it safely and to react responsibly if threatened is critically important. Just as important, however, is making sure you learn the handgun laws for carrying concealed or openly.
- You should know both the criminal and civil requirements. Even if a criminal investigation or trial finds that you were justified in your use of force, you still might have to face civil charges.
- This course provides information on some of the laws in Iowa.
- If you are unsure about the laws after completing this course, consider contacting an attorney who is familiar with the Iowa handgun laws.
- If you plan to take your handgun to another state, you must follow the laws for that state.
- Since laws change frequently, you should review them often to make sure you stay compliant.