Carrying a Firearm on an ATV or Snowmobile
Iowa Code 2016 Sections 321I.14, subsection 2 and 321G.13, subsection 2 give the laws regarding carrying a firearm on an ATV or snowmobile.
- It is illegal to operate or ride on an all-terrain vehicle (ATV) or snowmobile with a firearm unless the firearm is unloaded and in a case or unless one of the following exceptions applies.
- If you are non-ambulatory, you may carry an unloaded and uncased firearm while operating or riding on an ATV or snowmobile.
- If you are operating or riding on an ATV or snowmobile on land that you own or possess and your conduct is otherwise lawful, you may carry a loaded firearm concealed or openly even if you do not have a permit to carry.
- If you are operating or riding on an ATV or snowmobile on land that you do not own or possess, you may carry a loaded firearm concealed or openly only if:
- The firearm is a pistol or revolver and is secured in a retention holster upon your person and…
- You have a valid Permit to Carry Weapons in your possession and can display it to a peace officer if you are requested to do so and…
- Your conduct is within the limits of the permit to carry.
- It is illegal to discharge a firearm while you are on an ATV or snowmobile. However, if you are non-ambulatory, you may discharge a firearm from an ATV or snowmobile if:
- You are lawfully hunting and…
- The ATV or snowmobile is not moving.