Laws Related to Use of Force
Iowa laws related to the use of reasonable force and deadly force are found in the Iowa Code.
- It is strongly recommended that you review and understand the following sections.
- Section 704.1: Reasonable Force
- Section 704.2: Deadly Force
- Section 704.2A: Justifiable Use of Deadly Force
- Section 704.3: Defense of Self or Another
- Section 704.4: Defense of Property
- Section 704.5: Aiding Another in the Defense of Property
- Section 704.6: When Defense Not Available
- Section 704.7: Resisting Forcible Felony
- Section 704.8: Escape From Place of Confinement
- Section 704.9: Death
- Section 704.10: Compulsion
- Section 704.11: Police Activity
- Section 704.12: Use of Force in Making an Arrest
- Section 704.13: Immunity
- Section 707.6: Civil Liability
- If you have any questions after reviewing these laws, be sure to consult an attorney who is familiar with this information.