Firearms must be stored unloaded and in a locked location, separate from ammunition. The storage area should be cool, clean, and dry.
Displaying guns in glass cabinets or wall racks is an invitation to thieves and curious children. Ideally, you should restrict access to the guns and hide guns from view and lock them. Never leave a handgun lying in a place where a child might pick it up. When deciding how to store your firearms, consider your other family members, children, and visitors.
- A good place to store a handgun is in a handgun storage box or carrying case. Most of these can be locked.
- Storage devices with hidden compartments are available.
- For the best protection against theft and fire damage, purchase a gun safe or a gun cabinet.
Keeping all firearms stored securely and keeping the ammunition in a separate location may also prevent someone from trying to commit suicide with a firearm.
- Some people may feel the need to end their own life:
- During the heat of anger in a domestic situation or…
- While under the influence of drugs or alcohol or…
- As the result of mental health issues.
- Making it take longer to access a firearm may stop an act that they, their family, and their friends would regret for a lifetime.