Off-body carry is an option when you cannot carry your handgun on your body. You can carry your handgun in a bag or case, such as a purse, backpack, briefcase, or messenger bag. All of them can be purchased with built-in hidden holsters.
- Carrying your handgun off your body has some advantages.
- The bag or case is easy to lock in a vehicle or desk drawer if entering a non-permissive carry environment.
- Clothing options are wider, and body shape is less of a factor.
- Some disadvantages of off-body handgun carrying include the following.
- Gaining access to the handgun may be slower.
- The bag or case cannot be left unattended at any time.
- The bag or case may be a target for criminals.