Basic Handgun Maintenance
Clean and lubricate your handguns after every use to keep them in top condition. Every owner should have a complete cleaning kit.
Work on a cleared table or bench. Always give handgun maintenance your full attention. Never clean and lubricate a handgun while doing something else.
Follow these basic steps to clean and lubricate your handgun.
- Point the muzzle in a safe direction, and make sure the gun is unloaded.
- Remove all ammunition from the cleaning bench and surrounding area.
- For the most thorough maintenance, field strip the handgun as directed in the owner's manual.
- Clean each part separately.
- Lubricate the parts of the gun according to the owner's manual.