Skip to main content

Course Outline

Businesses that meet the definition of deriving more than 51% of their income from the sale of alcohol for onsite consumption are regulated by the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission (TABC). The TABC laws and rules require that these businesses post a 51% sign in both English and Spanish.

  • The sign could be posted:
    • Outside the business, such as on the door, where you can see it before you go inside or…
    • Inside the business, such as on the hostess stand or at the bar.
  • If a business does not have a 51% sign or any other legal sign posted and you have a valid LTC, you may carry your handgun in a belt or shoulder holster into that business. This would include businesses such as:
    • Grocery stores
    • Convenience stores
    • Most restaurants
  • A 51% sign must be printed in at least one-inch-high BLOCK letters such that the color of the letters contrasts with the background. The sign must also include “51%” printed in red and at least five inches high. However, be aware that the sun can cause the red 51% to fade away.
English 51% sign
Spanish 51% sign
  • Unit 1 of 4
  • Topic 4 of 7
  • Page 6 of 18