Skip to main content

Course Outline

An instructor helping a person  with her handgun

Laws regarding who may carry a concealed handgun vary from state to state. To carry a concealed handgun legally in Montana, you must have a Concealed Weapons Permit (CWP) issued by a county sheriff.

  • To get a permit, you must file an application with your local county sheriff’s office. The application is available from your county sheriff’s office. You also must:
    • Be at least 18 years of age and...
    • Be a U.S. citizen and...
    • Have either a valid Montana driver’s license or another state-issued picture ID and...
    • Have been a Montana resident for at least six months and...
    • Have proof of familiarity with a firearm, which can be:
      • Proof of completion of a state-approved firearms safety education course or...
      • A license from a recognized state (see below) that shows completion of a firearms safety course or...
      • Evidence of qualification with firearms during military service.
  • The county sheriff will issue your permit within 60 days after receiving your application.
  • The permit is valid for four years from the date it is issued to you.

Permits From Other States

Montana does not have reciprocity with other states but does recognize concealed carry permits from other states. For a list of the states that are and are not recognized under Montana law, visit the Montana Department of Justice, Division of Criminal Investigation website.

  • Unit 6 of 6
  • Topic 1 of 4
  • Page 2 of 3