Situation: It is late at night. All the lights in your home are turned off. You and your family are asleep when suddenly a noise awakens you. You realize that someone has broken into your home. You take your handgun out of the safe on your bedside table and get out of bed. The burglar hears you and tells you that he has a knife.
Questions to Consider:
- Would it be legal for you to use deadly force if the burglar enters your bedroom? Why or why not?
- Would you be justified if you threatened to use force or used force or deadly force while chasing the burglar inside your home? Why or why not?
- What could you do instead of using force or deadly force?
- What do you think would be the best action for you to take? Why?
- Would your answers change if the burglar leaves your home and begins to run away? Why or why not?
- What do you think you should do if your neighbors are just getting home and are nearby as you follow the burglar into your front yard? Why?