Handguns Used for Personal Protection
If you are going to carry a handgun for personal protection, you should always keep it immediately accessible.
- Make it a habit to carry your gun each and every day.
- When you are not carrying the gun, secure it in a gun safe that can be unlocked only by someone who is allowed to do so.
- Secure types of locks for safes include those that use biometrics, a combination, a digital keypad, or radio frequency identification.
- Bedside gun safes for use while you are sleeping are available.
- For example, storing your handgun in a bedside gun safe with a biometric lock makes the gun inaccessible to others.
- Never leave a handgun lying in a place where a child might pick it up. The top of your dresser and the top shelf of a closet are NOT secure locations.