Knowing Prohibited Locations
In Virginia, it is illegal to carry a handgun into the following locations.
- You may not carry any concealed or unconcealed handgun:
- In a federal government building.
- On private property when the property owner prohibits it or has posted signs prohibiting handguns.
- Into a place of worship during a meeting for religious purposes.
- Into any courthouse located in Virginia.
- Into any airport terminal in Virginia.
- On school property, including school busses, or to school functions unless the gun is unloaded, in an enclosed container, and in a vehicle. However, you may have a loaded, concealed handgun in your vehicle if you have a concealed handgun permit; are in the school parking lot, traffic circle, etc.; and stay in the vehicle with the gun.
- Unless you have a valid Concealed Handgun Permit, you may not carry a loaded semi-automatic pistol with a magazine that will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or that is designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer:
- On any public street, road, alley, sidewalk, or public right-of-way.
- In any public park or any other place of whatever nature that is open to the public in the cities of Alexandria, Chesapeake, Fairfax, Falls Church, Newport News, Norfolk, Richmond, or Virginia Beach, or in the counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Henrico, Loudoun, or Prince William.