What to Do After Using Deadly Force
If you find yourself in a situation where you have had to use deadly force, here are some recommended steps for you to take at the scene.
- Make sure there are no more attackers.
- Put your personal safety first.
- Check on the safety of any bystanders.
- Put your firearm away when you know the threat has ended. Do not continue to hold it in your hand.
- Call 911 to get help.
- Give them your location.
- Tell them you were attacked and the attacker was shot.
- Tell them you are armed.
- Stay at the scene. While you are waiting for emergency personnel to arrive:
- Preserve the scene.
- If you can do so safely, consider giving the injured attacker basic first aid.
- Provide only basic information to the police, and request an attorney as soon as possible.