If you are carrying a handgun and are approached by a law enforcement officer, make sure you know and follow the correct procedure. Here is a suggested way to respond if you are in a vehicle.
- Do not make any fast moves.
- Turn on the lights inside your vehicle if it is dark outside. If you are wearing sunglasses, remove them.
- Open your window.
- Keep your hands where the officer can see them.
- Cooperate with the officer. For example:
- Tell the officer that you have a gun and where it is, even if you are in an area where you are not required to do so.
- Do not reach for the gun unless you are told do so.
- Show the officer both your driver’s license and your permit to carry a concealed handgun.
- Do not get out of your vehicle unless you are told to do so.