Iowa has state public hunting areas and wildlife management areas.
- Unless posted otherwise, you may not hunt in:
- Railroad right-of-ways
- Waterfowl refuges
- Wildlife refuges
- Be sure to check the Iowa DNR website for the most current information on specific areas and counties with restrictions before you go hunting.
- Some private landowners participate in the Iowa Hunting and Access (IHAP) program, which makes about 7,000 acres of private lands available for public hunting.
- Walk-in public hunting through IHAP is available between September 1 and May 31 each year.
- For IHAP hunting tips and maps, go to the Iowa IHAP webpage.
- For more information about places to shoot and hunt, visit the Iowa DNR website.