Virginia Nonresident Concealed Carry Course
Take this course to complete the online education for your Concealed Carry Permit.
unlimited exam attempts
The Virginia Nonresident Permit Allows You to Carry Concealed in the Following States:
Get your Nonresident Permit in 3 steps.
Study the Online Course
Complete this $49.95 state-approved firearms safety course as proof of education for your Virginia Nonresident Concealed Handgun Permit application.
Print Your Proof of Education
After you complete the course, you can download your proof of education certificate. This certificate is required in order to apply for the Virginia Nonresident Concealed Handgun Permit.
Apply for Your Concealed Carry Permit
File the required application for the Concealed Handgun Permit.
Virginia Nonresident Concealed Carry Permit Requirements
Nonresident Permit Overview
The Virginia Nonresident Concealed Handgun Permit is available to U.S. citizens in all 50 states and allows you to carry concealed and/or legally travel with a concealed handgun in reciprocating states. If your state of residence recognizes the Virginia Nonresident Concealed Handgun Permit, then you may be able to obtain and use the permit in your home state.
Why Get a Virginia Nonresident Permit?
Virginia is issuing a growing number of concealed carry permits to residents of other states. Many people choose to apply for a Virginia Nonresident Handgun Permit because the permit is valid in their state and because Virginia accepts a variety of gun training options. Some states impose tougher requirements for obtaining a concealed carry permit, such as firing a gun with an instructor.
NOTE: Completing the ConcealedCarry-ed™ online course satisfies the handgun training requirements for obtaining your Virginia Nonresident Concealed Handgun Permit.
Handgun Training Requirements:
Virginia state law recognizes eight different training options to prove competency in handgun handling. These options may include completing an approved hunter education or hunter safety course, or firearms training conducted by a state or certified firearms instructor, including electronic, video, and online courses. Completing the ConcealedCarry-ed™ course satisfies the handgun training requirements for obtaining your Virginia Nonresident Concealed Handgun Permit.
Nonresident Document Requirements:
- Documentation showing successful completion of an approved gun safety class or training program
- Completed Application for Concealed Handgun Permit
- Non-residents must also submit a photograph, fingerprint card, and a photocopy of one valid form of photo identification issued by a governmental agency
Virginia is a shall-issue state, requiring only the information that is necessary to determine an applicant’s eligibility for the permit. The following are requirements for application. For a complete list of applicant disqualifications, visit the Virginia State Police website.
- Must be at least 21 years of age
- Must not be convicted of a felony
- Must not be convicted of stalking
- Must not be subject to a restraining or protective order
- Must not be a person who has received mental health treatment or substance abuse treatment in a residential setting within five years
- Must not have been convicted of public drunkenness within three years
- Must not have been convicted of two or more misdemeanors within the five-year period immediately preceding the application
- Must not be addicted to marijuana, or be an unlawful user or distributor of any controlled substance
- Must not have been dishonorably discharged from the Armed Forces of the United States
- Must not have been convicted of any assault, assault and battery, sexual battery, discharging a firearm, or brandishing a firearm within the three-year period immediately preceding the application
Nonresident Concealed Handgun Permits are issued by the Virginia State Police.
Concealed carry permits are valid for five years.
Nonresident permits are $100.
Nonresidents must submit a new photograph and fingerprint card.
Nonresidents who are denied a permit and are not satisfied with the explanation provided by the Firearms Transaction Center may appeal such denial to the Superintendent of State Police within 30 days.
Resident Concealed Carry Permits
The Virginia Resident Concealed Handgun Permit is issued by the circuit court of the county or city in which the applicant resides. You must be 21 years of age or older to apply for the permit.
Visit the Virginia Resident Concealed Handgun Permit page for more information.
Virginia Concealed Carry Reciprocity Map
Concealed carry reciprocity maps display the states that honor a concealed carry permit or license from another particular state. While Virginia recognizes concealed carry permits from every other issuing state, many states have tighter reciprocity laws. If you plan to carry a handgun in another state, make sure you check that state's reciprocity laws before doing so.
This map is accurate as of October 2017.
Virginia Concealed Carry Reciprocity
Permits from Other States:
As of July 1, 2016, the holder of a valid concealed carry permit issued by another state may carry a concealed handgun in Virginia if:
- The holder of such permit or license is at least 21 years of age and…
- The permit or license holder carries valid photo identification issued by a government agency of any state, or by the U.S. Department of Defense or U.S. Department of State and…
- The holder displays the permit or license and the government-issued photo ID when requested by a law enforcement officer and…
- The holder has not previously had a Virginia concealed handgun permit revoked.
The law now requires Virginia to grant recognition to all states that issue permits. You can read more about the recent law change on the Virginia State Law website.
States That Recognize Virginia's Permit:
Virginia does have CCW reciprocity agreements with certain states. Some states will only recognize Virginia's resident permit at this time. Virginia permit holders should always check the other state's reciprocity laws to determine if their Virginia permit will be honored in that state.
What to Expect From Concealed Carry Ed
Live‐Action, High‐Definition Videos
Our course videos feature a combination of professional educators (who double as professional actors), entertaining storylines, and up‐to‐date scenarios that give you one of the most effective ways to learn safe handgun-shooting practices.
Comprehensive Concealed Carry Education Content
This official training program is developed to meet the standards for online concealed carry education in Virginia.
The course includes easy-to-understand handgun safety instructions and self-defense information. Whether you're an experienced shooter or a first-time handgun owner, this concealed carry course will prepare you to carry a handgun safely and responsibly.
Meets Virginia State Law
Completing this program satisfies Virginia's online requirement for obtaining your Virginia Nonresident Concealed Handgun Permit. This course covers everything a new handgun owner may need to know in order to be safe.Get Started
Learn Your Way on Any Device
Concealed Carry Ed offers online courses that are fully mobile-friendly from start to finish. This safety course is designed to work on your smartphone, tablet, laptop, or desktop computer.
You may complete the course at your own pace. The course can be completed in one sitting or a little at a time over several days. Log in and out at any time, and we'll keep track of your progress. Most students finish the course in a few hours.
We’re people, not robots.
Our customer service team, made up of real people with real Concealed Carry Ed experience, is here to provide assistance through all channels—phone, email, and chat.
9:00 a.m. to midnight EST, seven days a week.
Get help seven days a week from professionals like Katy, Heidi, Josh, Misty, Liz, Allen, and Thomas.
Made in the U.S.A.
This safety course is proudly made to serve students, agencies, and organizations worldwide.Get Started